Saturday 21 May 2016

Seascapes and sunsets





The Lewis trip was no more successful for sea eagles than the Iona trip but a little loch between two beaches on the Braighe connecting the Eye peninsula to the main island provided some compensation as it was the resting place for hundreds of long tailed duck presumably on migration.








The beaches and the loch margins were patrolled by a mixture of waders. Oyster-catchers, sanderling and knot but also some dunlin in their handsome summer plumage and little ringed plovers.


Some odd ducks appeared on a loch near Tiumpan head lighthouse. At first glance I thought they were shoveller duck but close to, I guessed they were some mallard cross-breeds, especially when they waddled up to be fed.





The trip to Bernera across the "bridge across the Atlantic" was equally unsuccessful erne-wise but provided some spectacular views and a sight of the tidal bell at Bosta beach. 
 





A bronze bell that sounds different notes as the tide ebbs and flows. We really ought to make an effort to install such a splendid piece of art locally. We have the coastline for it here.
A scramble out onto the promontory at Crothair brought me close up to the remains of a small broch, Dun Stuigh, only a few feet of walls remain but it still commands the headland. Beneath it, in the bay was what seemed to be an ancient fish trap with a low wall allowing the fish to swim in at high tide but preventing their escape as it ebbed.

Dun Stuigh

Ancient fish trap


I have been trying to capture the Green Flash at sunset for years.


Best seen over the sea, with a flat horizon, I have watched many sunsets from our Lewis base. They are spectacularly beautiful like a Rothko painting but, without a sea horizon, the green flash has always eluded me.
This year I think I captured, at least the green ray, on video, or maybe I'm kidding myself.




I think there was a green element to those rays


I'll try again next year and maybe the sea eagles will be less camera shy.

No comments:

Post a Comment